I filed it away in memory (aka Pinterest) always intending on figuring out how to make one using a jelly roll. As luck would have it, Jolene kindly read my mind and posted a tutorial on Moda Bake Shop describing exactly that! I had a jelly roll of Millie's Closet hanging around so I mentally lined that fabric up to be my granny square quilt material and promptly put it away for... a while. Of course I did!
Well now I've finally begun my granny square adventure! Aside from the fact that I've got a few quilts that need finishing (understatement), I had a hankering to start something new. Since the not so fun part of cutting most of the width-of-fabric strips was taken care of for me this quilt seemed like a great candidate for a quick fix.
Sure enough, I set to cutting bits and pieces and in a short while had stacks of strips adorning every surface. It took me some time to decide on which ones to match up to make each block, and in the end I really just sort of assigned randomly, but it was satisfying at the end of the day to end up with neat bundles all ready to go. These will make a quilt top, people! So excited. Cutting is my least favorite part.
That was maybe a couple weeks ago and now I've got the first stage of sewing strip sets together finished and most of those trimmed down to be sewn into the final block. I think these prints and colors are going to play really nicely with this pattern. I can't wait to see how it all turns out! I've got friends having littles soon, so this may end up as a special surprise for a mom-to-be when it's finished.