Wednesday, August 22, 2018

trellis, finished

Sometime in early July Dave and I ended up in Half Moon Bay at Fengari, my favorite yarn shop. "I am on a yarn diet!" I said. And then I found some really pretty yarn to take home anyway...


One of those lovelies on the right there is an alpaca/wool/acrylic blend that became this cowl. When I started this the only projects I had on the needles were huge (a worsted weight blanket), tiny yarn (mom's birthday shawl), or both (the never-ending shetland shawl). I was craving fluffy yarn, big needles, and an easy peasy pattern. 


Enter Ravelry filters to help me find something! This cowl uses a neat repeating stitch pattern to achieve this smocked fabric effect. It was easy to memorize and also addictive to knit. Similar to self-striping yarn, I found myself wanting "just one more row" before I put it down for the night. It was a quick knit in the round that kept my interest but was easy enough that I could watch tennis or a movie while working. I love the color and tweedy bits in this yarn. I also have some in yellow that has been in my stash for longer. After working with it on this I'm really looking forward to finding a project for that yarn as well. 


I really like how it turned out! It's quite soft and doesn't suffer from the itchy problem I had with my Lando cowl, but the fabric has a little more drape than I might like, so I'm letting it sit for a bit before I decide whether I should line it or not. It probably depends on who I end up giving it to. I like chunky substantial cowls that stand up on their own. I'm on the fence.  In summary: Hurrah for quick knits!

Trellis Cowl
Pattern: Ziyal, free on Ravelry (my Ravelry page)
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Monte Donegal in 'ivy'
Needle: US 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!