I am both happy to have this finished and unsure how I feel about it. It's nearly impossible to take a picture of it especially if it's not on, so the contortions below are really rather humorous and I have no idea how it looks on me. A fun July start and finish nonetheless.
As expected, it was an easy knit (with one exception, read on) and a good pick up/put down project. In fact, it got put down for a bit because I got distracted by socks and because at one point when it was evening knitting it was lulling me to sleep! Talk about being a relaxing knit. This was a Blue Sky Fibers pattern, and Blue Sky Fibers cotton yarn which is incredibly soft.
My one gripe, at least the way I knit, is that second sleeve. I switched to the smaller needles and ripped out the bind off multiple times and it still flares and lays/springs differently than the first line of ribbing which behaves very well. I ended up doing a sewn bind off, pulling rather snugly, and then weaving a double ply of sewing machine thread around the edge just under the bind off to get it to sit a little more like the cast on edge. I'm not sure if that's going to be a long term solution but it improved things a bit and I can't really tell there's thread. Not wildly different in terms of size/width, but definitely different in terms of springiness.
Even in the picture above I can tell, and that's annoying mostly because the cast on sleeve is so much better behaved than the bind off sleeve. Oh well, I bet it will all work itself out! I am hoping this looks nice with a navy and white polka dot dress I have. Of course it's in the 90s for the near future, but maybe some day I will want to have a layer over a dress again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!