Monday, October 15, 2012

Blushing coreopsis

I had so much fun last Friday night playing with fabric. I bought these half yards back in April mostly because I got a great deal, but when I pulled them out and put them next to each other, an inkling of a project came up in my mind. They are: Anna Maria Horner Loulouthi Coreopsis flannel in Tangy and Joel Dewberry Heirloom Opal voile in Blush.


When I first found Maureen's blog (and at the same time, blogland in general) her Simple Scarf Tutorial was recently posted, and I fell in love with the idea of a flannel and voile scarf. It kind of stuck around in the back of my mind, and like I said when I saw this combination I filed it away in my brain as a good pairing to use. I was in the midst of lots of knitting and sewing for my nieces' birthdays in April, so these got put away on the back burner. I had some fun a few weeks ago making an infinity scarf from voile scraps and quilting cotton, which reminded me of this project. I've had so much on my mind putting together my faculty application packet that I've been all about making small projects this month to take quick mental breaks; this was another great one.


I modified the measurements in the tutorial a little, only using a half yard of each print since that's what I had. The scarf is plenty long (almost 90 inches) and this flannel is so soft!!! It was totally worth making the change in length so I could use it. This will be the perfect bright accessory for winter. If I were keeping it, I'd also wear it for fall since the colors are perfect for this time of year, too. It's destined for holiday gift giving though, so winter it is. That's right it's only October and I've got a few gifts done, so happy.

This is a satisfyingly quick project that is a great way to showcase quirky fabric combinations or favorite colors. Everyone loves a scarf, too! At least I do. At one point I was told they were my trademark. That was before I worked full time in a lab with corrosive chemicals. (But I do still like to wear them when I'm presenting group meeting.) I'll be making at least one more, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!