Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Twinkle, twinkle

Jacey asked for yellow, purple, and/or gray star blocks of any kind in the do.Good Stitches Love circle. Her primary suggestion was wonky stars, which I've never tried. That's one of the things I like best about the idea of a quilting bee -- I get to try new things I may not have thought of making before.

Twinkle, twinkle little star was my oldest niece's favorite song when she was little. I hummed a few bars to myself when I finished these star blocks yesterday.


I have a lot of scraps right now, so I challenged myself to make these blocks only from my scrap jars. It was fun playing around with all the different bits and seeing how I could get them to fit the prompt.  To make some larger, scrappy pieces I stitched together 3 strings of fabric and cut 4 big squares. The friendship star block (at the right) came together after making HSTs and a lot of experimenting with layouts. Some of the arrangements I wasn't sure really qualified as 'star' so I kept coming back to this simple star.

My favorite of the two is this little wonky star. I think it's the background. And the combination of purples. And the jaunty attitude of the little star. I guess it's everything! The block itself was really a simple sew, and a great use for all those smallish odd shaped scraps that I wonder why I keep sometimes.


The star looks like someone is jumping for joy. Probably because I'm feeling caught up now! How's that for a Rorschach test?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!