Friday, August 23, 2013

Under the old oak tree

My second contribution for the Love circle house and trees quilt this month is complete. Since I already made a house, I googled "tree quilt block". Oh the great goog. I found this lovely block and liked the look of the free-form swirls. It was appealing to me after all that exact(ish) piecing for the house. I also decided it would be a great way to use some scraps from the jars. 


I used some Steam-a-seam Lite on my chosen scraps and then improv-cut teardrop shapes that I figured would play nicely as leaves. After rearranging the layout several times I landed on the arrangement above and ironed everything into place. I wanted this tree to have a fat ol' trunk, but it ended up looking too 'heavy' with such a huge chunk of brown. I fixed that problem by attaching a little hide-y hole. 


To make sure everything stays in place, today I stitched near the edges of each appliquéd piece. A happy tree indeed! 

Linking to Finish it up Friday 

1 comment:

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!