Saturday, August 1, 2015

Mo Chridhe, finished

Mo chridhe, as far as I can tell, is Gaelic for my heart. It is used as a term of endearment by the Scottish main character in the Outlander novels, which I have been eyeball deep in for a few months and thoroughly enjoying. The phrase is a simple expression of affection, the simplicity placing emphasis on its sincerity. I like it. It is a happy coincidence that the name of this pattern is 'Hearts on a String'. So, Mo Chridhe it became. 


Unlike the expression, this was anything but a simple knit for me. I have a well-marked up chart on my iPad to attest to the fact that I needed to keep track of every yarn over and decrease. I even missed some, but even when I looked hard while blocking, I couldn't tell. I did a pretty good job of fudging recovery on the following row if my counts were off. That's a good knitterly skill set to build up!


Speaking of the iPad, this was the first time I used an interactive app to read my pattern pdf. Usually I just open them in iBooks and keep a row counter going to tell me where I am. In this case I used Notability as a side kick to my row counter. With that I can write notes, highlight repeats, and cross off sections as I go. It was really handy for this project since I worked on it only occasionally . 

The lace looks pretty when it's blocked and the yarn is really light and floaty. I think this will make a nice scarf for Fall, especially being this lovely maroon color. I can already think of several things I can readily wear it with. Bring it on, Fall!


Pattern: Hearts on a String Shawl (Ravelry link)
Yarn: Loops & Threads Woolike in 'mauve', about 650 yards
Needles: Size 3 (3.25 mm)
Dimensions: 48" across the top and 25" from top to point 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!