Sunday, August 2, 2026

boxy banded pouch

I am having a lovely sewing centric weekend. With the wall hanging finish and a clean card table, I felt I inspired to keep up the fabric play and dive into my pattern stash. I've had this pattern for a boxy zipped pouch in my drawer for a long time and this was a fun experience learning a new zipped bag/pouch construction. 


It's an old school paper pattern, so it felt a little nostalgic opening up the tissue paper, trying not to tear it while looking for the pieces to cut out, pinning the pieces to the fabric, and using scissors - not a rotary cutter - to cut everything out. It was written for pre-quilted fabric, so I did have a bit of prep work to do making a sandwich with some batting and a couple of coordinating prints. I used two layers of batting here, which I think was a good idea given the need for structure, and just a simple cross hatch quilting pattern using gray/silver thread that was already on my machine. It looks more complicated than it actually ended up being, and I had it done in no time. It feels quite retro! 


I have had this pretty peach and red print in my stash for a long time and haven't really known the best use for it. There is a big, beautiful border along one side and then the peach background print takes up the rest of the yardage. It felt a little wasteful cutting out just part of the intricate border for this added band on the bag, but the tulips look so cute marching along the sides. Either my cutting or my seam allowances were slightly inaccurate because it's not quite "true" on the ends and sits a little bit wonky, but it's still a serviceable pouch and would be good for pencils, threads, maybe even a small single skein knitting project like a Sophie scarf or a pair of socks.


I would say now that I have made it once as intended, I could think of a few ways to modify or add to it. Perhaps a pocket inside, definitely would like to add a strap to one end, and I think a fun zipper pull would be a nice touch. There are definitely more of these in my future to be made for family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!