Saturday, March 16, 2013

Liebster Lovin'

A few weeks ago I was the lucky recipient of not one, but two Liebster Awards from Audrey at Hot Pink Quilts and Kelsey and Amanda from Everyday Fray. The Liebster Award is passed along to recognize someone for a space you enjoy visiting, so thanks ladies! This blog has been a fun way for me to keep track of my comings and goings at the card table, so I'm tickled that there's a few someones that read and enjoy my work and writing. 

There are some rules to go along with the award, more like activities really than rules:

1.  Post 11 random things about yourself.
2.  Answer the 11 questions given by the nominator.
3.  Create 11 new questions for those you nominate.
4.  Choose 11 new blogs (less than 200 followers or blogging for less than 6 months) and link to them in your post. 

I will answer both sets of 11 questions (long post ahead) but will not double up to 22 for the rest, though I am honored to have twice the love coming my way. Also, I will do them out of order to give out recognition first. 

One of the really fun things about blogging is being a part of a community of like-minded people. I enjoy reading other blogs a lot; they are great sources of inspiration, motivation, and just plain pretty things. Some of my favorite little corners of the internet to visit are: 

1. Farah @ Handmade by FarahLin
2. Rebecca @ nook.
3. Kathy @ Kayak Quilting
4. Megan @ City Stitches
5. Marit @ sy, elsk, lev
6. Stephanie @ A bag full of Crochet
7. Muriel @ Hopfaldera

I know I didn't hit 11, but my heart is in the right place... I'm passing the love on. Please take this as a compliment and feel no obligation to complete the (somewhat chain-lettery) "rules"! It would be fun to learn some things, but I know sometimes folks just don't do this type of thing. 


Here are my questions:

1. What is your favorite thing about the area where you live? 
2. Of all the projects you have made and kept, which are you most fond of?
3. Of all the projects you have made and gifted or sold, which was the hardest to part with?
4. What is the next (crafting) skill you want to learn?
5. If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be?
6. Are there any particular fabric designers/yarn manufacturers whose collections you consistently like?
7. What is the farthest away from home you've ever been (a la Samwise Gamgee from The Shire)?
8. What is your favorite dish to cook for yourself?
9. What music do you put on when you want to relax?
10. What are a few of your most-loved color combinations?
11. If you could make anything and time/skill/money was no object, what would that dream project be?


And here are my answers to some questions.

Audrey's Questions:

1. Is there a book or movie that has changed your life or greatly impacted you? What is it? 

I've read and loved many books, but the first one that comes to mind is Cry, the Beloved Country. I read it near the end of high school, and it was the first time I remember being really struck by a book and also understanding what being "struck" by something really meant. It's a beautiful story.

2. What is your favoritest color? 

It depends on the day it seems, but most days I am a big fan of green.

3. What is the best job you've ever had? 

I volunteered at a stable - teaching kids (and adults) confidence and leadership through riding, being around and learning about horses and horse people was the best. I miss it, but it wasn't ever going to be a practical job to have.

4. Do you have a new year's resolution or word of the year for 2013? 

Never got around to making any resolutions.

5. What is your favorite thing you've ever made with your hands?

I have a brioche stitch cowl I made this last year. It was one of my first projects with "nice" yarn, and I love it. I wear it every chance I get. 

6. Where is the coolest place you've ever visited? 

I have been so lucky to have been to many great places in the world so it's hard to choose. I'm a big fan of European history so I guess if I had to choose I would say so far it's been Paris.

7. How many WIPs do you have? (Be honest.)

2 quilting projects, 5 knit/crochet projects, 1 pillow cover, and a couple of cross stitching projects. And I have some paper flowers I started a long time ago but haven't finished yet. I've been working my way through my WIPs before starting anything new this year so the list has dwindled. How many projects do I have kicking around my head? That's another story altogether. Lots.

8. What is the hardest crafty thing you've ever done? 

I had this quilling kit of 12 different types of flower bouquets in pots that are displayed in a shadow box frame. There were all sorts of little teeny pieces, lots of glue, and plenty of toothpicks involved. It was a lesson in patience, precision, and perseverance.

9. Did you conquer it? 
You bet I did, and it's hanging up on the wall.

10. What is the hardest non-crafty thing you've ever done? 

My PhD.

11. Did you conquer it?  

I'll let you know in a few months!



Amanda and Kelsey's Questions:

1. What style of fabric do you tend to gravitate most towards, and are they often fabric lines from the same designer?
I tend to like the big, bold focus prints of collections. It's a curse really as they aren't so much "blenders".... since I started really looking at designer fabrics I do tend to like most Art Gallery collections. I adore Indie, Lilly Belle, and Floressence in particular.

2. What was the first quilting blog that you remember stumbling upon?
Maureen's blog Maureen Cracknell Handmade is the first one I can remember coming across a little over a year ago. I was looking for information on how to make pillow covers and came across her quilted striped pillow cover tutorial. I still follow her blog and always enjoy seeing what she's up to.

3. Have you ever kept a quilt for yourself or are they always gifts?
I have kept two quilts so far and given away quite a few. It's really the smaller projects that I have a harder time keeping for myself. 

4. What is the most sentimental quilt project you've ever worked on?
My most recently started one - a picnic quilt for Dave and me in colors we remember most from our life in Amsterdam. There's all sorts of little symbolisms wrapped up in it, both intentional and things I've noticed along the way.

5. Are there any colours that seem to find their way into every project you make?
Darned if I don't end up using a lot of aquas and greens.

6. Do you have any other crafty talents besides quilting?
Plenty! Quilting is actually a new talent... other sewing, crochet, knitting, cross stitching, painting, drawing, jewelry making, I've got a whole cabinet full of supplies for a myriad of crafty pursuits.

7. Reading or watching TV/movies?
Lately lots of TV but that's actually because I like reading so much I get sucked in until I can't function until I'm done with the book. No good at a time like this when I really have to try to focus my efforts at work. If you've never read Neil Gaiman, read something by him. 

8. Where will you spend your next vacation?
After graduation my family and I will be taking day trips around the Bay Area so hopefully Monterey, Santa Cruz, Napa, and San Francisco are in my future. 

9. What is one skill you wish you had?
I wish I could play the piano. Like really play, Lizst or Bartok, y'know?

10. What is the best and worst gifts you have ever received?
So hard... so I pass :) 

11. Camping or luxury hotel?
This is a hilarious question for me because it highlights something that has really changed about me. A few years ago I would have gone camping. Now I'm finding that luxury hotel much more appealing.... 


11 Random Things:

1. I have come back to riding horses after a 9 year hiatus. The horse I currently ride the most often is half Clydesdale. I don't go every day anymore like I used to just after college, but the barn where I ride is less than a mile away from the building where I work! That is just an amazing fact I never get tired of. 

2. I've played the clarinet for more than 20 years (wow... time gets away) and thought about doing a music major going into college.

3. Instead I was a science major and am now almost done with my PhD in Materials Science & Engineering.

4. When I get really stressed out, I clean and organize. My husband can always count on a clean house in the week leading up to a conference or big deadline. 

5. I played handbells in an auditioned group for a few years. It is definitely a super fun instrument to play. I would describe it as being part of a human piano.

6. I painted cameo silhouettes of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler on our living room wall.

7. We lived in Amsterdam for a few months, and we both would love to live abroad again sometime in our lives.

8. I used to be one of those people driving down the street in a New Beetle. I had that car for 13 years.

9. One of my favorite musicians is Sting. My brother is a fantastic person and once got me tickets to go see him in Grant Park. 

10. There was a mild, but quite noticeable, earthquake while we were eating dinner at our favorite restaurant in San Francisco the day my husband proposed. 

11. I'm a die hard Cubs fan, just like my mom. The year before I moved to California was the year they clinched the playoffs in a double header with Mark Prior and Matt Clemens pitching. In a crazy twist of fate (i.e. the game I was supposed to go to got rained out the day before, Mom's friend had tickets to the next day) I was sitting behind home plate. That year I made myself scorecards and kept score for every single post season game they were in.


Wow that was a long post. Thanks again to Audrey, Amanda, and Kelsey for the recognition!

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome! Love it! Also, I love that you have those cameos on your wall. I LOVE Sherlock. Pictures, perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!