Friday, September 21, 2012

Caribbean Blue: the finale

It has been quite a while since I've worked on this. I have to say, though I super duper like the final product, I did not especially enjoy piecing this top. I got the bulk of the top done back in May but got frustrated with the wonkiness of my growing rectangle and inability to measure accurately in the space I had, so folded it up, made a face at it, and put it away for the summer. After finishing up Steve and Egle's picnic quilt, I cleared off the card table and wondered 'what's next?' I consulted my list of projects in progress and projects I want to try out some day, and I noticed this quilt at the top of the "in progress" list. Aww shucks.

I pulled out what I had already, ironed it, and spread it out on the floor again. The final size is supposed to be 68" x 72"and so requires some piecing of backing fabric, which I did purchase and have waiting in the wings. Instead of continuing with adding more strips to the top, I decided to just take my two yard cut of solid for the back, lay it out to see if it would fit what I had already, and call it done. I only needed to add one more strip of fabric to finish out one corner. Hah! A finish in sight. I had some leftover batting pieces trimmed from other projects, so I zigzagged a couple of them together, and that determined the final size of my quilt which is something like 55" x 66" (the batting was slightly shorter than 2 yards). Weird I know, but it's actually a pretty good sized throw. I've tested it out already. A little bit of simple stitch in the ditch to quilt, some binding, and voila. And on a Wednesday night, no less!

This thing is SOFT! The whole thing except the binding is made with cotton voile which is somewhat slippery to work with for 1/4 inch seaming, but completely worth the extra effort. This was the first time I bought a substantial amount of prints from any collection (that certainly started a trend - ha!). I LOVE the Soul Blossoms fabrics. Pretty much all of them. The prints are just my taste, and the colors are all great but especially these yellows, greens, and blues. So I splurged. It is made with Amy Butler's free Sun Glow Quilt pattern which has turned out beautifully, just the construction technique is not my thing.

I have a few pieced strips left over that might turn into some fun projects, and I have about a quarter yard of each print left for me to hoard until the perfect idea comes along. For now, I'm going to enjoy cuddling under this quilt an awful lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!