Friday, July 20, 2012

Hexie Tree

After I finished the front of my hexie tree tote bag from class it hung around in my sewing room for a week or so. I wasn't sure how I wanted to finish it, but it was a great temporary decoration. 


This past weekend I sat down and finished the bag construction which I must say was a breeze. This will be a great go-to pattern for all types of designs. I chose to keep it simple and use a brown solid for the inside and the same green canvas pieced together for the back. Since the canvas is heavier than a quilting cotton, I decided not to go for the fusible fleece interfacing. The bag is fluid, but still has some nice structure. 


For the strap I found a striped twill-ish fabric in my scrap bag. This fabric was from napkins I bought years ago and made into pillow covers for my living room back when we had mostly green and blue going on. The colors are a perfect match to all these hexagons and a great complement to the tree design with all the brown and green. Yeah for finding the perfect use for those odd strips of fabric!


This was a really fun project that I will probably do some more -- I can imagine changing up the design on the front using different kinds of EPP shapes or even some applique now that I have a nice, simple pattern for a tote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!