Thursday, May 30, 2019

aidin, finished

After setting this down for vacation, it took me a few weeks to pick it back up again when we got back. Of course, in the meantime my nephew was born giving me the ‘ooh better get this done’ moment I needed. All I had left were the long side borders and it didn’t take me long once I got hookin’! This was a free pattern on Ravelry, and I have to say I’m thankful to the designer who put all the work into this and then shared it. It makes such a nice piece.


It ended up being a good size, about 36 x 44 and quite a hefty weight, which I am really pleased with. Crochet fabrics are denser compared to knitting as it is, and the mosaic crochet adds more density per square inch making for a nice thick and sturdy fabric. That said, this cotton yarn from Scheepjes is not as stiff as the usual balls I get from other brands and that makes for more drape in the finished project. It was a little splitty to work with, but what cotton isn’t? I definitely appreciated the wide range of colors I had to choose from, and I love this combination, which is a slant rhyme to nautical colors and hopefully will stand up to wear and tear. At least being cotton it will be easy to throw in the wash. 


I’m hoping the high contrast in the zig zag section will be good for the little munchkin’s eyes and give him something interesting to stare at as he explores the world around him. Rather than doing the last round in the teal as the pattern called for, I used the gold since I was running low on teal and had the most gold left. I squeaked by using up the last of gold and just a few yards of the English tea. I only have about 20 yards each of the teal and tea leftover, so I’d say I made a good choice!


I’m very happy with this finish and am looking forward to seeing my nephew bundled up in this as he grows up.

Pattern: One Step Beyond Blanket (my Ravelry page)
Yarn: Scheepjes Cahlista in ‘ginger gold’, ‘dark teal’, and ‘English tea’
Hook: H (5 mm)
Size: 36”x44”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!