Saturday, April 4, 2020

birthday bags

When the nieces were visiting for the holidays I had good intentions of making them bags like I made with Mom back in September. Alas, as is always the case we ran out of time to do all the things we wanted to do. Instead I asked them to raid my fabric stash and pick out two coordinating fabrics that I could make into bags later. 


These are a really nice afternoon project. The most difficult step is the cutting, which is only hard insofar as your surfaces in your craft room are messy with things that get in the way. After that, it really isn't that much sewing until you have a cute bag (or two) ready to go. I used the thicker Pellon interfacing I had since these were not heavier fabrics and I think that was a good idea. The interfacing stuck less well to the gray fabric because it's some sort of suiting remnant I had. I think I bought it a long time ago when I was going to be making embroidered bags? Regardless, it's stuck on there for now and I believe the sewing lines across the top and handle area should keep it in place even if it should pry loose over time.


It's fun to see their different personalities in the fabrics they chose. The kitten print hiding out in the plain gray is trying to be subtle but admitting to an inner wild side and the blue and white medallion prints are pretty extroverted and sparkly. Sounds like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!