Wednesday, October 30, 2013

studio beautification part un

This week I've been hatching plans for pillows to use on my daybed in the Sac studio. I started in on a bright and colorful pillow to brighten up the otherwise pretty neutral-looking side of the room where the bed is. Using navy/orange/purple in one pillow looks a little Halloween-y right now, but I'm sure I'll like it when all is said and done. 


I'm using a free paper pieced kaleidoscope pattern from Red Pepper Quilts. I hope by using primarily navy in the blocks that I can bring a bit more of that color into my living space --- I'm pretty good on purple ;) When the pieces are all assembled I have the fabric arranged so that the secondary star pattern is all navy and the scrappy purple and orange fabrics dance around the block in no particular order. 


So far the block is 16.5" square. I want it to snugly fit on a 24" pillow form --- I'm always bad at remembering how to size pillow covers to get the fluff that I want. I think maybe 22" finished? I hope I have notes on my dogwood pillows somewhere...  I think I will add a plain navy border around this rather than more kaleidoscope blocks. I'm liking 16 and keeping the center as a navy star rather than 25 which would make the center a purple and orange cross. That might be getting a bit obsessive. 


I also want to put a zipper in the middle of the back instead of using an envelope closure. We'll see how well that goes! After this is finished I have plans for one or two more large pillow covers. Of course, I can't decide what I want to do. Typical. 

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. I'll be looking for inspiration in the rest of the links, for sure. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful bright colours! The navy sets them off well. It will make a great pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!