Friday, September 14, 2012

The perfect travel project

There is nothing better to do during a Dramamine-induced haze than knitting. Except maybe crocheting. Dropped stitches are way easier for me to fix in crochet. But knitting is still pretty much awesome when floating somewhere between awake and asleep 30,000 feet up in the air. 

Since finishing the long-awaited double knit scarf, I managed to finish up one more yarny wip (post on that coming once blocking is done) and have only a throw hanging around just waiting for the motifs to all be sewn together. Since this doesn't technically count as "on the needles/hook" I gave myself permission to start a new project. 


I bought some madalinetosh vintage yarn at Knit Purl in Portland when we went up there in May. It was a bit of a splurge, but when I walked in the shop, there was this beautiful cowl hanging right near the door. This speaks to the marketing advantage of making items and having them on display, because I decided I was making one in like 5 seconds. I don't usually make things in wool if they are going against my skin (mildly allergic) but I've never tried merino wool before. The skeins felt so soft I figured I'd give it a try. And the colors of this yarn - oh my! I picked out a pretty light gray (Mica) and beautiful reddish purple (Venetian) but really I could probably have randomly picked out any color and loved it. I've been waiting oh so patiently to play with this yarn! Serious self control.


The pattern is the Newsprint Cowl, and is available for free on Ravelry. It is worked in brioche stitch, which I am having a lot of fun with. It makes this super squishy fabric that I bet will be really warm. I started in the terminal on Sunday and with all of the flights I took this week, I managed to get about halfway done. The brioche stitch, I'm finding, has a unique look to it that really shows off two color knitting and I am loving it. I also find that, if you like people talking to you at the airport and in the plane, just take a knit or crochet project along. Someone always asks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!