Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Morning on the prairie

A good friend of ours had her birthday last week, and Saturday there was a party to celebrate. She is always so complementary of things that I make and wear or just have around our house, so I wanted to make her something of her own. I had a skein of a lovely silk/wool blend yarn that I bought 'to try' at Nine Rubies in San Mateo (Malabrigo Silky Merino) that was in just the right colors for her. The Pradera colorway is a beautiful light spring green coated in cobalt blue to give an interesting turquoise color. At first it looked like the sea to me but when I looked up what pradera meant (grassland) and saw the images from the search I understood. Google pradera and you'll find images of green fields under bright blue skies.

Sad to say the photos were taken the evening I gifted it (also the same evening I blocked it... ahem...) so the lighting is a little yellowish and is only somewhat fixable in Photoshop. 


This is a version of a 28 Row Scarf on Ravelry that I made using a few of the modifications from another Raveller's version. How great is it that there is a website where one can search a particular yarn, yardage, and type of project? Seriously awesome. 


My version of this ruffle scarf ends up being just enough to drape around the neck and twist for a nice flounce in the front. When I blocked it (steam blocking) it ended up being about one and a quarter full circles long. Using this yarn, the fabric has a lovely drape and weight to it, but so much so that I think a longer scarf would be too limp to look nice. 


This silky single ply yarn was really great to work with. I think I might save up and purchase enough to make myself a dressy sweater someday. But the best part? She loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!