Monday, August 17, 2026

mercury socks, finished

All done! I am apparently in the mood to name my knits after Holst’s Planets. Mercury is my second favorite movement from The Planets, extremely close behind Jupiter. Starting immediately on the heels of the Neptune socks, no pun intended, this piece was already on my mind. The orangey speckles brought to mind a planetary landscape, but it couldn’t be Mars - that music is way to intense for the feel of this yarn. The frenetic energy of the micro stripes and the mild flashing map quite nicely onto the perky fluttering lilt of Mercury the Winged Messenger, so there we have it. 

This pair turned out looking very different than what I imagined when I impulse bought the skein, but I have now learned something about reading yarn that I think I will stick in my mind. I’ve read lots of articles about the topic, but there’s nothing quite like experience to make something make sense. Truly a fun knit, I think they turned out quite successfully. I knit these on US 2 (2.75mm) needles though, and I’ve been hearing other people say they use 2 or 2.25mm needles, so I think I’m going to spring for some US 0 (2mm) 9-inch circulars and try those out for my next sock. For science. I think the gauge here is totally fine since I think I knit quite tightly on the tiny circulars, but I am curious to see what a difference it will make. Why not? For true scientific method, I may try to make some shorties from the leftover yarn so nothing changes besides the needles. We’ll see what I decide when I get around to my next pair. I’ve got some other things I’d like to give attention to, but the sock mania has been really fun. No regrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!