This piece has been hanging on my design wall for such a long time patiently waiting for binding inspiration to strike.
It finally came in the form of the rejected borders on the mushroom pillow mom and I started. The strips were just the right size for a binding and, despite being linen and bound to be finicky to work with, were pretty perfect for the job. This felt like a nice project to start off the month and get me back to sewing a bit.
I can't remember when I decided that hand sewing binding on to the backs was preferable to doing a zigzag on my machine, but it is a very strong preference now. I used to do it all the time, but it feels so cavalier to think of machine finishing a binding now! I also remFunny how we change over time.
It's done, and looks so good. The teal binding pulls out the green-blues in the middle and emphasizes them more, which I quite enjoy. The irony is that I'm not sure where I'm going to hang this, so it's back up on my design wall but at least it is finished!
I remember the first night of playing with squares, the frustration of dealing with that black coarse linen for the sashing, and the joy of deciding it didn't matter if it was perfectly lined up - it was a scrappy experiment and did not have to look a certain way. I like that I found a good home for this large scale Amy Butler print I've had since the beginning of my stash. And there are lots of memories in those little scrappy squares - of places, projects, and phases of life. A fun finish, to be sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!