Thursday, August 6, 2026

neptune the mystic socks, finished

Neptune the Mystic is the subject of the final movement of Gustav Holst's The Planets. It is an ethereal treat for the ears that scintillates with mystery and magic. As I worked up this yarn and considered what it was telling me about itself as I went along, this mystical character and soundscape came to mind in the deep purples and blues gently interrupted by subdued, but somehow still sparkly, pinks, greens, and browns. 


I started these the evening of August 1. After a successful day in the sewing room, I had a peaceful evening downstairs in the soft light of the living room enjoying the iridescence of the yarn as it worked up into a cozy fabric. It was wonderful to have a full and varied day of deep creative time with my hands and mind. 

    

It did not take me long to finish the first sock, just another day, and just a couple days after that I finished the second. DK weight socks certainly do work up quickly and I can understand the appeal of a slightly thicker more slipper like sock. These are slightly on the short side because I was uncertain how much yarn one sock would take in a DK weight situation. A bit of research on Ravelry suggested that my size might be kind of close to the whole skein, so I went conservative on leg length because the idea of running out of yarn at the end of a second sock is very unappealing to me. 


They turned out looking great both in dim light and in bright sunshine today where the colors can really show up. They'll either be for me to keep or as a gift for my sister in law. I think her feet are slightly larger than mine though, so they may be staying here if I can't block them bigger when I get her measurements. Such is the risk of starting socks for someone before you're sure what size they are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!