Friday, May 8, 2020

pineapple quilt top, finished

It's done! It was really satisfying to snap these pictures yesterday out in our lovely garden where the breeze was just right to keep on catching the quilt as Dave stood with it. I'm lucky that he is enthusiastic about my projects and progress. He never complains about moving around to get a better picture! Despite the wonky nature of the quilt here, I enjoy how the backlighting gives it the stained glass effect and makes the colors sparkle. 

I would be telling a big fat lie if I said that all of those seams match up perfectly, but let's be real. They don't. And I don't care! There were a few places where there was no amount of fudging or easing that would make the correct alignment magic into place, but there are honestly so many details to the quilt that I doubt anyone but me will ever notice. I think the fact that I used linen as my secondary fabric made stretching more of an issue than it would have been otherwise, so despite the template trimming some things were a little bit off when all was said and trimmed. 

I opted for a borderless quilt. I'm going to use my yellow and gray fabric (that is the central squares of each block) for the binding until I run out and then I'll go scrappy. I ordered backing fabric yesterday, too so I'll get to work on some other things in the meantime as I wait for that to makes it's way here from Paducah, KY. I will remember to NOT baste this one when that arrives, so I can use my nifty quilting gadget Dave got me for my birthday. More on that to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!