Wednesday, May 20, 2020

scrap jars

Look at what I found in my scrap jars. I am amazed at the fact that there was a whole quilt in there just waiting to be discovered and this isn't even most of the scraps I cut up. I didn't wait very long after finishing up all that cutting to start arranging and rearranging the stacks of little rectangles on my cutting board and design wall. There are 400 pieces of fabric up there and I am so excited to see how this is going to turn out. 


I spent most of yesterday evening and this afternoon sewing together the rows. I'm finding that there are some side by side combinations I really like and some I don't like as much, but it all comes out in the wash when you look at the piece overall. Basically all I did was make two piles of fabric in rainbow order: lighter prints and darker prints. I didn't pay any attention to the order in which I stacked prints up aside from ROYGBIV. After that I just alternated piles, light-dark-light-dark across the wall until I ran out, which was pretty liberating. (I was totally inspired to do all of this by a quilt I saw on Blue Elephant Stitches). It turned into a pixelated rainbow and I don't think I could have done better if I'd painstakingly arranged every piece of fabric. I love it.


Getting the rows together went surprisingly quickly and I've got my fingers crossed that I'll find my seams are so nice that they'll all match up when I go to sew them together. I'm sure I'll have it all ironed up by tomorrow night. How cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chiming in and leaving a comment!